Ingredients: (makes 2 “sandwiches”)
- 1 large eggplant, sliced vertically into 6 (¼” or slightly thicker) slices
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella - ¼” or slightly thicker (or cheese substitute such as mozzarella sheese)
- 8 slices of fresh ripe tomato - ¼” thick
- Place eggplant slices on a hot indoor or outdoor grill that’s been brushed with a bit of avocado oil. There isn't a need to oil the eggplant because it has enough moisture.
- Grill on both sides until the eggplant is cooked through, but still firm and the grill lines are defined; approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side − depending on how hot your grill is!
- Remove the eggplant slices from the grill and set them aside.
- Cut the tomatoes and cheese.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, start with one slice and top with 2 or three slices of cheese, (depending on how big your slices are) 2 slices of tomato, and then repeat.
- Top with a final slice of the eggplant.
- Place the "sandwich" in the oven (or back on the grill covered with foil) for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, or just until the cheese softens and begins to melt.
You can find the original article HERE.