Ultra Fudgy Brownies
Adapted from Sweet Freedom.
Servings: 9 to 12
- 1 small avocado (1/4 cup packed)
- 1 cup Sucanat (brown sugar might work?)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil (reduced from 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (or ground flax)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp organic dark roasted coffee or instant
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1¼ cup whole grain spelt flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Line an 8” pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, gently smash the avocado with a fork to break apart. Then use a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the Sucanat, maple syrup, oil, chia, vanilla extract and coffee, and mix until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the spelt flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low or stir by hand until it is just mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking pan.
- Dip your spatula in cold water and smooth the mixture evenly throughout the baking pan and smooth the top of the pre-cooked brownie. Note: the batter will be VERY THICK so don't worry and think that you did something wrong!
- Once smooth, place the baking pan in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Note: do NOT bake for more than 25 minutes even if it looks like it needs more time!
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Put the baking pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set and firm.
- Remove the large brownie from pan and cut it into smaller pieces with a pizza slicer.
You can find the original article HERE.