Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheControllerView::get() should be compatible with JCacheController::get($id, $group = NULL) in /homepages/17/d473017229/htdocs/ND/libraries/joomla/cache/controller/view.php on line 137
Cervical dysplasia or CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) is defined as the atypical development of cells (immature squamous epithelium that does not penetrate the basement epithelial membrane) on the cervix.
The peak incidence rate occurs at 35 years of age.
The cause of cervical dysplasia is unclear. However, it is strongly associated and initiated by the HPV (human papilloma virus) infection.
Risk factors associated with CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) or cervical dysplasia are:
- Any heterosexual sexual intercourse
- Sexual intercourse during puberty
- Exposure to DES (diethylstilbestrol)
- Multiple sexual partners
- Lack of prior Pap smear screening
- History of STD (sexually transmitted disease)
- Other genital tract neoplasia
- Substance abuse
- "High risk" for HPV male partner
- Low socioeconomic status
- Tobacco use
- HPV (human papilloma virus)
There are no signs and symptoms associated with cervical dysplasia. Instead, it is found during a gynecological examination and Pap smear.
The diagnostic assessment tools, results and tests used to diagnose cervical dysplasia or CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) include:
- Gynecological examination
- Acetowhite epithelium with/without associated punctation, mosaicism and abnormal vessels
- Abnormal transformation zone
- Pap smear
- Screening for STDs:
- Colposcopy with a directed biopsy
- Computer-enhanced Pap cytology screening
From a Naturopathic standpoint, Dr. Moira Kwok ND will obtain a very thorough medical history in order to put all of your "puzzle pieces" together to form a whole picture of everything that is going on from a health perspective. From this holistic approach to treatment, she will put together an individualized treatment plan based on a combination of dietary and lifestyle recommendations, supplements, botanicals, acupuncture and/or IV therapy that is based on your specific case.
- Ferri FF. 2007. Ferri’s Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Mosby Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA.