Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheControllerView::get() should be compatible with JCacheController::get($id, $group = NULL) in /homepages/17/d473017229/htdocs/ND/libraries/joomla/cache/controller/view.php on line 137
H. pylori gastritis is defined as inflammation in the gastric mucosa (stomach lining).
It is most commonly found in alcoholics, patients taking NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and critically ill patients. However, H. pylori infections with the presence of gastritis is present in 30-50% of the population but the majority of the people do not present with any symptoms! The prevalence increase with age from < 10% in Caucasians younger than 40 years of age to > 50% in patients older than 50 years of age.
The causes for H. pylori gastritis include:
- Idiopathic (unknown)
- Alcohol or stress
- Medications such as NSAIDs (especially aspirin)
- Direct trauma such as nasogastric tubes
- Infection − bacterial (eg. H. pylori) or viral (eg. cytomegalovirus) infections
- Crohn's disease
- Bile reflux, liver failure or pancreatic enzyme reflux
- Kidney failure
The most commonly experienced signs and symptoms include:
- Generally non-specific signs and symptoms
- Foul-smelling breath
- Anorexia, nausea and/or vomiting, abdominal bloating or abdominal tenderness
- Coffee-ground appearance of stools
The following diagnostic tools are often used to diagnose H. pylori gastritis:
- Urea breath test
- H. pylori IgA and IgG antibodies
- H. pylori stool antigen
- Rapid urease test (RUT)
- endoscopy with biopsy
From a Naturopathic standpoint, Dr. Moira Kwok ND will obtain a very thorough medical history in order to put all of your "puzzle pieces" together to form a whole picture of everything that is going on from a health perspective. From this holistic approach to treatment, she will put together an individualized treatment plan based on a combination of dietary and lifestyle recommendations, supplements, botanicals, acupuncture and/or IV therapy that is based on your specific case.
- Beers MH & Berkow R (Editors). 1999. The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (17th Ed.). Merck Research Laboratories: Whitehouse Station, NJ.
- Ferri FF. 2007. Ferri’s Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Mosby Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA.