Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheControllerView::get() should be compatible with JCacheController::get($id, $group = NULL) in /homepages/17/d473017229/htdocs/ND/libraries/joomla/cache/controller/view.php on line 137
Menopause is defined as the absence of a menstrual period for 1 year after 40 years of age or the permanent cessation of ovulation following lost ovarian activity.
Perimenopause begins in when a woman is in her mid- to late-40s and the average age of menopause is 51 years of age. However the age at which menopause occurs is genetically determined but smokers experience menopause an average of 1½ years earlier than non-smokers.
The cause of menopause is most commonly physiological but it can sometimes be due to surgery.
The signs and symptoms associated with menopause are:
- Fatigue, lethargy
- Inability to concentrate
- Hot flashes and/or night sweats
- Complete cessation of menses or a period of irregular cycles and diminished or heavier bleeding
- Atropic vaginitis that causes burning, itching, bleeding and/or pain during sexual intercourse
- Sexual changes
- Decreased libido
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Urinary incontinence
Be aware that the following complications may arise:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Coronary artery disease
The diagnostic assessment tools and tests used to diagnose menopause include:
- History of symptoms
- Progesterone challenge test
- Resolution of symptoms after use of estrogen prescription
From a Naturopathic standpoint, Dr. Moira Kwok ND will obtain a very thorough medical history in order to put all of your "puzzle pieces" together to form a whole picture of everything that is going on from a health perspective. From this holistic approach to treatment, she will put together an individualized treatment plan based on a combination of dietary and lifestyle recommendations, supplements, botanicals, acupuncture and/or IV therapy that is based on your specific case.
- Ferri FF. 2007. Ferri’s Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Mosby Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA.