Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheControllerView::get() should be compatible with JCacheController::get($id, $group = NULL) in /homepages/17/d473017229/htdocs/ND/libraries/joomla/cache/controller/view.php on line 137
Obesity or being overweight is defined as the excessive accumulation of body fat.
Its occurrence in the general population is significantly rising. Approximately 280,000 deaths each year in the USA can be attributed to "over-nutrition", which makes it second only to cigarette smoking as a cause of death!
The cause of obesity is essentially consuming a greater amount of energy (calories) than the amount of energy that is being used up.
Other factors that play a role include:
- Genetic influences
- Environmental determinants such as large food intake and a sedentary lifestyle
- Psychological factors such as binge eating, food addiction and night eating syndrome
- Endocrine conditions such as Cushing's syndrome, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or hypothyroidism
The signs and symptoms of obesity or being overweight are:
- Sleep apnea
- Skin disorders
- Problems with both weight-bearing and non-weight bearing joints
Be aware of the following complications that may arise
- High blood pressure, coronary artery disease (CAD) and/or high cholesterol
The following diagnostic assessments are used to diagnose obesity:
- Body Mass Index (BMI): the calculation of weight (in kg) divided by the square of height (in m). However, this diagnostic tool is not necessarily accurate due to many contributing factors.
- Waist to Hip Ratio (WHR): the measurement of the waist divided by the measurement of the hips.
From a Naturopathic standpoint, Dr. Moira Kwok ND will obtain a very thorough medical history in order to put all of your "puzzle pieces" together to form a whole picture of everything that is going on from a health perspective. From this holistic approach to treatment, she will put together an individualized treatment plan based on a combination of dietary and lifestyle recommendations, supplements, botanicals, acupuncture and/or IV therapy that is based on your specific case.
- Beers MH & Berkow R (Editors). 1999. The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (17th Ed.). Merck Research Laboratories: Whitehouse Station, NJ.